This weekend, we went on an overnight camping trip. How did it go? Well, the short and sweet answer: Awesome!
You’ll probably wonder what’s wrong with me after you read the long answer…
It all started out innocently enough. We’d planned a weekend getaway with another family, and we couldn’t wait! We were in the midst of out-of-state visitors, but they were scheduled to leave our house on Saturday morning, and we’d head out right after them.
And then my hubby looked at the weather report.
It did not look good, but it didn’t look as bad as it could. Typically, we snub our noses and laugh at anything lower than a 60% chance of rain…and this was hovering around the 40% mark.
What do they know?
Most of them argue about what is happening outside right now, let alone what will happen in the future.
No offense to any weather people…
After discussing the options with the other family, we decided to go. We’d go, and if it got bad, we’d just bail.
Does anyone else hear that ominous music?
We did, but we chose to dance along to it, ignoring what could lie ahead.
Anyway, we get our visitors out the door, get our vehicle all packed and made it to the park-and-ride on time. We followed the other family to the pass we wanted.
I laughed out loud when I saw the name of the road.
“Breakneck Pass Road!?” I laughed. “Ehhh…how bad can it be?”
How bad was it? I’m sorry. I can’t hear you over all the screaming in my head.
But, for the record, it wasn’t the worse road I’d seen. Still…
At one point, we switched places with our friends and had them follow us, because our car was the lowest denominator. Unlike their car, ours didn’t have a higher clearance and wasn’t a 4-wheel drive. If our car could make it, both cars could make it.
Luckily, I had a handle to hold onto for dear life. We told Claire to hold on tight, and away we went.
“Daddy! Be careful or you’ll spill the car!”
Truer words have never been spoken…and she’s only three!
But, we made it. We didn’t break the car, and the camping spot we found had an established fire ring and an awesome view.
Just as we were getting set up, it started raining. It was so polite of it to wait until we had our rain fly adjusted. We set up some tarps and had some snacks. We could see blue skies up ahead, so we knew it wouldn’t last.
And, yes…40% may as well be 100% when it’s happening to you, and 0% if it’s not.
The rain stopped, and we went about camplife. The kids and the adults all had a blast. We ended up dodging the rain (and the mosquitoes!) off and on throughout the evening, but it all worked out perfectly.
Finally, after stuffing ourselves with campfire food, the fire glowing brighter as the night got darker, it started raining again, and we all called it a night. Because this was car camping, we’d splurged and brought our queen size air mattress. We had a smaller tent this time, so Claire had to sleep with us, but that was okay.
By the glow of Glenda, Daddy and Claire fell asleep and I surfed the ‘net for a bit. Yes, I got a signal there. Yes, I could play online from my campsite. No, this wasn’t really roughin’ it.
That stupid music started again, and I ignored the fact that the mattress seemed a little squishier than normal. Another hour went by and I realized that the pain in my hip wasn’t being caused by my existence as the center of a Claire and Daddy sandwich…it was caused by the hard ground.
It was barely midnight, and our air mattress had gone completely flat.
Now, keep in mind. This mattress takes up nearly the entire footprint of our tent. The pump we need to use is loud enough to wake the dead let alone our friends sleeping in the tent next to us. And, Claire is out like a log.
So, with no way to breathe life back into the situation, I laid there, trying to will myself to sleep.
And, then it started raining, hard…and the wind started blowing, hard. At one point, I was afraid the tent would upend and we’d end up in a pine tree, but it stayed fastened to the ground. I kept checking the seams and window for water, but the tent held fast! Our tent didn’t leak!
I think I got about two hour’s worth of sleep, maybe three…patch-worked together in 15 or 20 minute increments.
The kids slept in, so none of us stirred from the tents until after 8am, which was perfect. We made breakfast and broke camp. We navigated Breakneck Pass Road (without breaking anything, actually) back down to the highway, and headed home.
So, even though it rained, and even though a Mack Truck ran over our tent in the middle of the night, popping our air mattress and then crushing our bodies, we still had a fabulous time. Even though we look as though we’ve been attacked by an army of mosquitoes (and we were!), we still had a fabulous time.
It just goes to show that when you’re with the right people, you can laugh at the rain. You can hobble around and laugh at the kinks in your back. You can laugh at the mosquitoes that rival those in the Midwest. You can laugh hysterically (so you don’t cry) as you try to point out the best way around or over the boulders in your breakable car.
You could look at what happened on our trip and think that it sounded horrible! What terrible luck! But, that’s just not the case.
Of course, remembering to pack my Wand of Positivity made all the difference.